11/04/2013

Why modern life really is rubbish. (Part one)

Working in a shop within a shopping center (or shopping mall for my international readers) having just a shutter and windows everywhere has it advantages and it's disadvantages. Now, I don't mean to turn this blog into a trashy rant site but some things need to be said. There are some things I feel the need to share, to keep myself sane and to make sure this isn't just me getting old.
    Today, as I find myself daydreaming about another season of Gossip Girl (guilty pleasures have to be revealed at some point, right?!), I watch the world walk, talk, run and even stumble by (corny but true, time doesn't seem to move in that place). I see a group of four or five, fourteen/fifteen year old girls wearing ankle swinger jeans, crop tops and Nike New Balance trainers; (nearly) every Tumblr girls' dream. As they walk past, so do two boys who look about twenty.One of the GIRLS then feels that it is appropriate to shout "OI OI, SEXY" to one of the boys. Much to no-one's surprise the boys turned around looking hopeful but a look of horror overcomes their faces. Where they thought they would turn back and see a girl their age trying to be funny, instead they see a girl that is five, maybe even six years younger than then humiliating them in public.
   They weren't the only ones who had only horror in their eyes, I did too! (Here's me getting all feminist and sentimental) I got so frustrated because Women really fought for their rights not to be treated like animals on or off the streets. That's all being poured down the drain; thanks Millicent Fawcett, it seems all your hard work is going to waste. I don't know if it was a dare or if it was underage drinking, I have no idea what made this girl think it was acceptable to shout at this boy that was SIX YEARS OLDER THAN HER. I'm sure that if the tables were turned and he had shouted that at her she would have kicked up a mighty fuss and he would be facing Sexual Harassment and a possible pedophilia court date.

I guess I just need to come out of Jane Austen's world and face "modern society".

No comments:

Post a Comment