01/02/2013

Everything Everything - Arc
13 tracks.
Favourite track - Armourland
Favourite lyric - "I wanna take you home, take off your blindfold and show you what I am." - Armourland.

When Everything Everything released 'Man Alive' a hefty three years ago, I thought they couldn't do any better. Even now I listen to their album and still love every beautifully recorded second. Low and behold, when 'Arc' was released in January of this year I was skeptical, I hadn't really heard anything from it (like I said previously, I've been so out of touch with music lately, I deserve a slap on the wrist). Upon hearing 'Cough Cough' for the first time (yes, on the bus; yes, on the radio) I thought everyone had suddenly started coughing at the same time, I felt like I were back in year three where everyone coughing at the same time was "cool". As soon as John's vocals kicked in I knew exactly what I was listening to, my eyes started glistening right there on the bus and I just didn't give a damn.
     When I finally came around to buying the album (for some reason, pre-ordering it didn't cross my mind), I could tell straight away that they had access to better equipment and they were not going to put it to waste. I am so glad they didn't. If I'm being honest, I thought 'Arc' would be an improved, more expensively made version of 'Man Alive', but boy was I wrong! Opening with the more than familiar 'Cough Cough', then 'Kemosabe' coming straight after I knew I was in for a treat.
    Although all of the tracks sound completely different, they all seem to merge into one, I feel like I'm listening to a 48 minute long song, seriously. I feel "sinful" if I listen to just one track and skip the rest to the next track I like. To really enjoy this album you have to listen to the whole thing, start to finish.
    It seems there are no limits to the octave's that John's voice can reach, his voice goes up at least another octave throughout this album. There are so many layers to each song, everything time I listen to a track I notice something different, whether that be: even more metaphorical lyrics, a new synth, Vocoder, anything. I think to understand the meaning of this album you have to research about it; Kemosabe = Faithful Friend, for example, I bet now you'll listen to that song completely differently (I know I did!). They are experimenting but still keeping to their true, unique sound; which I will always respect bands for.
    'Arc' will finally give Everything Everything the true recognition they deserve, it will/has bring/bought them a whole new fame, along with it a new wave of fans. They will own the festivals this year and I won't be surprised if it's on the end of year lists (far away, I know!) for best album of the year.
Well done boys, you worked hard, you deserve this.



No comments:

Post a Comment